Friday, June 7, 2013

Book #13

Hurricane by David Wiesner.

I saw on the news today that hurricane season is among us.  Tropical Storm Andrea is approaching (or has approached) Florida.  Living in Indiana, I don't have much experience with tropical storms or hurricanes.  I know tornadoes.  

However, last summer, I took my first Disney World vacation.  At the same time, Debby was visiting.  Tropical Storm Debby, that is.  How rough the rain and wind were, fighting me as I attempted to have my first glimpses of that place where dreams come true.  Luckily, the storm wasn't around my entire trip.  But, for those families who lost so much from natural disasters, life is not be the same.  

This book is much more light-hearted.  It shows the before, during, and after of a storm.  It also illustrates a child's understanding of the aftermath.  You see how children cope, in a positive and imaginative way, with the storm damage.